Internet access is available different forms, for those that can afford access.
- Terrestrial Internet (cable, DSL)
- Fixed Wireless
- Satellite Internet
- Mobile Wireless
- Personal Hotspot on a Smartphone
- WiFi Mobile Hotspot
In light of the COVID pandemic, WiFi hotspots have become a temporary hardware patch to deliver internet to students that did not have broadband connectivity.
Benefits of Mobile Hotspot
- Faster speeds than personal hotspots on a smartphone
- Signal stability
- Mobility to move the unit easily
- Typically more secure
- Several users and devices can be connected
Cons of Mobile Hotspot
- Speed is dependent on the proximity of the tower
- Speeds are dependent on the build-out of the carrier in rural areas
- Weaker signal requires more power
- Low data caps, when exceeded will cause data throttling
“What Is a WiFi Hotspot? | CenturyLink.” Centurylink.com, 2020, www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/wireless/what-is-a-wi-fi-hotspot1.html . Accessed 12 Dec. 2020.
Guzzardo J. Pros and Cons to using Wi-Fi and Cellular Internet – Resource. Resource. Published January 9, 2020. Accessed December 13, 2020. http://resourcemagonline.com/2020/01/pros-and-cons-to-using-wi-fi-and-cellular-internet/181390/